Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reupholstering...Signigficantly more tricky than I would have assumed

March 5, 2013

                    Now if you're thinking I haven't posted in a while you're absolutely right! I've still been crafting and what not but I just haven't had time to blog. Hopefully I'm getting back on track so I can share some of my latest projects! 


                             Before:
 








                           After:
                                                                               


                   First up is a very early attempt at upholstering and ottoman which was originally a coffee table. It turned out surprisingly well. Once again it's all about the detail! Easily the hardest part was the tufting, and the tufting made all the difference. It gave it a much more professional polished look. Check out my work below:

Starting point-A very cool low coffee table found on craigslist for $20. Based on the lines I would guess it's mid to late 70's.







Then you pick out a fabric....and there are so many choices but I finally narrowed it down to two at Hobby Lobby (both were about $9/yd -40% discount).




In the end I loved them both but knew the red would match my general decor better for now. So it's time to start upholstering!

Start by graphing directly on you table where you want your tufts to be (I'm still new at this and forgot pics of this step.) I drew directly on the table --it's all getting covered anyway right??

When you've drawn your dot pattern drill holes through the table-this makes tufting later on possible. And do yourself a favor and make them 1/2" holes and not smaller otherwise getting the needle back through later is awful.

Once your holes are drilled begin upholstering! I used a 2" foam cut to size but did not use batting like the tutorials I read had said to. Still don't understand the point of batting and my ottoman hasn't seemed to notice. Then just add your fabric, make sure your pattern is lined up, pull taut and start stapling! This part works best with two people for tension on the fabric.
(My sweet dad trying to help me still doesn't love cell phone cameras)



Now's the tricky part. Tufting. I swear I took photos of this part I just can't seem to find them. Mostly you just get a long upholstery needle, fishing line and your staple gun. I also bought a cheap button maker and used my extra fabric to make covered buttons.

Thread your line up through the bottom, then add your button and push your needle directly back down so it goes back through the hole! then pull tight and staple the ends of your line to the bottom of the ottoman for extra security.

Ta-Da!





I love the way this ottoman came together and the fun pop of red it gives my living room now. All in all this project cost about $50 but the seem to sell for significantly more--One Kings Lane list theirs as being on sale at $499 and mine still has a drawer.

This is definitely my favorite project to date. I swear I'm going to start back posting more regularly. I have a great desk that's next up on my list for some care!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment